6 Signs Your Website Needs an UpdateWhen’s the last time you flipped through a 500 page phone book to find a phone number? In the digital age, when a consumer has a need for a product or service, they go straight to their computer or smartphone to access a magical directory called “The Internet”. Consequently, your company’s website is most often the first impression consumers have of your brand – so make it count! In fact, 75% of users admit to making judgments about a company’s credibility based on their website’s design. So if your website looks like it hasn’t been updated since Y2K, it’s time for a change! Below, our digital marketing agency has provided the top 6 signs that your website needs an overhaul:
1. Your Website is UnresponsiveIn 2015, visitors are more likely to be browsing your website on their tablet or smartphone than on their desktop; in fact, 3 out of every 5 searches are now done on mobile. Chances are if your site isn’t responsive, mobile users will skip right over it. In fact, if your website isn’t mobile or responsive, Google has made it clear that it’s a big problem. Your website should be simple to view and navigate no matter which type of device it’s being viewed on.
2. The Technology is OutdatedFlash intros maybe have been cool back in the early days of the internet, but now they’re the exact opposite. Flash makes your website look dated and drastically slows down its load time. However, most importantly, it’s been abandoned by two of the tech world’s biggest giants; Flash isn’t supported on mobile Apple devices, such as the iPhone and iPad, and isn’t recognized by the world’s largest search engine, Google. It’s time to lose the Flash!
3. Updates are a HassleIf you’re forced to call up your “tech guy” every time you need a simple edit to your website, it’s time to consider an upgrade. Older technology breaks and is time consuming to update; you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops due to an outdated Content Management System (CMS). If the editor in your CMS is not displaying or functioning properly, this is a sign that the latest updates to web technologies, such as Java, are too advanced for the system currently in place on your website. If your prehistoric CMS has become a hassle, upgrade ASAP! Today’s Content Management Systems are simple to navigate and manage, and make updating your site efficient and easy. An outdated CMS is a waste of time and resources – you should be able to make the majority of the content updates yourself.
4. Your Website Looks Like It Was Created in 1998Website design trends change and your site needs to evolve with them. If you’re still using multiple fonts and animated GIFs, you’re in desperate need of a makeover! The days of Comic Sans and cheesy images are loooong gone! Your design should help visitors get to know your brand while helping them find the information they’re looking for – not overwhelm them with flashing images and childish font! Today’s websites are sleek with open space, consistent font, and branded colours. If your website’s design is outdated, visitors will assume the same of your business.
5. Your Website Has Too Much TextDon’t take this personally, but no one wants to read your website – they want to scan it. Today’s consumer wants to visit a website with bold images and limited text – a website that gets to the point. So don’t ramble on! If visitors can’t quickly grasp what your brand is about, they’ll move on to a competitor. Your text should be clear, focused, and concise – if it’s not, you need a change!
6. There’s No Mention of Social MediaEveryone and their grandmother has hopped on the social media marketing bandwagon, so why hasn’t your website? Not having social share icons is a clear sign that your site is behind the times. Your site should include social share buttons on every page, and feature icons to your company’s social profiles. Visitors should be able to share your site on their own social profiles, as well as visit your company pages, in one simple click.
Any of these sound familiar? If so, it’s time to invest in a new website! In fact, in order to stay current, many recommend updating your website every 3 to 5 years.
At WSI Montreal, our CMS of choice is WordPress; the system is simple to manage and makes website updates easy and time efficient. View our web design portfolio to get a better understanding of today’s current website design trends. Ready to take the next step? Get in touch with our Montreal web design team today!