9 Tips to Help Boost Traffic to Your Business Blog – Part 1
You’ve taken the plunge and you’ve started a business blog – great! But now you find yourself spending precious time writing blog posts that no one sees or reads. Sound familiar? We understand if you’re a little discouraged. But you shouldn’t be; it’s normal. Generating traffic to your blog and building a loyal following of readers takes time.
In our 2 part series, our digital marketing agency shares 9 tips and guidelines for boosting traffic to your blog:
Tip #1: SEO is Critical for Your Blog
To get readers to your blog, first they need to find it! Optimize your blog posts for search to make sure that people that are searching topics in your industry are coming across your posts. Here’s how to make your blog posts search-engine friendly:
- Include keywords. Most importantly, incorporate them into your titles and headings. When appropriate, bold or italicize them to help them stand out. Of course, don’t “keyword stuff” – that’ll get you on Google’s naughty list. Keywords should consist of about 3% of your posts’ overall word count.
- Metadata and alt tags. Just because your readers can’t see it, doesn’t mean that Google doesn’t. Meta data and image alt tags are crucial for SEO, be sure to include them – complete with keywords – in all of your blog posts.
- Write often. Google’s algorithm loves fresh content, so be sure to update your blog frequently. Don’t have the time to write blog posts regularly? Perhaps you should consider hiring a content writer.
- Links. Include relevant and reliable outbound links to demonstrate the credibility of your post. Of course, always include inbound links to your website or previous posts when applicable.
Tip #2: Optimize Your Blog Post Titles
It’s human nature – we’re told not to judge a book by its cover, but we always do. Be sure to carefully construct your blog post titles, because they’re the gateway to your blog. Your potential readers come across dozens of different blog posts every day, so make sure yours stands out; your blog post titles needs to be crafted to draw in the reader and influence them to take the time to read your post.
Your title should:
- Include keywords. SEO!
- Include a number. Readers prefer to read a blog when they can estimate the length and gain actionable knowledge. For example, “5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Blog Post Title.”
- Make your topic clear. Don’t be vague; your potential readers want to know exactly what they’re getting from your blog post.
- Focus on the reader. The language in your title should be “You”-focused. For example “5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Title for Your Blog Post.”
Here are a couple more great title tips courtesy of HubSpot.
Tip #3: Get Social
The job isn’t done once you publish your blog post – it’s only just begun. Promote each blog post on all your company’s social media properties to direct your followers to your blog. Of course, be sure to spread out your posts, tweets and updates; if not, users that are following your business on all your social platforms will be bombarded with reminders– which comes across as desperate and too “pushy”. Plan out your posts and tweets by creating a calendar and schedule them accordingly.
Just because a blog post isn’t recent, doesn’t mean you’re done promoting it. If it’s still relevant, don’t shy away from sharing it again weeks, months, or even years later on your profiles. Tip: don’t just copy and paste the same “blurb” into every tweet or post about the same blog post; switch it up by including different quotes, tips, or key points to give potential readers a little “taste” every time.
Lastly, on every one of your company’s social properties “About” sections, on top of including a link to your website, be sure to include a link directly to your blog. This is a simple way to remind or inform followers, and potential followers, about your business blog.
Tip #4: Integrate Email Subscription to Your Blog
Make it easy for your readers to come back by integrating an email subscription form on your page. This way, those who enjoy reading your posts can sign up and automatically receive notifications when new ones are published. Over time, those who subscribe to your blog via email will be your most reliable visitors; they’ve already opted in to receive updates and are therefore more likely to visit your blog when given a “gentle reminder”.
There you have it – simple tips to help generate traffic to your business blog! But be patient; don’t expect these tricks to work like magic overnight. Boosting traffic to your blog organically takes time and determination.
Be sure to stay tuned for the second part of our series where we break down tips 5-9!